Hawkes Bay is a superb holiday destination. With its Mediterranean climate, stunning Pacific coast, superb trout fishing rivers, golf courses, cycling tracks and wineries, visitors are spoilt for choice. The Ngaruroro River, just 1km from Gallery Cottage, is famous for its brown and rainbow trout and popular with jet boaters and fishermen alike.
A short drive away are the craggy Havelock Hills with their crowning glory, Te Mata Peak – well worth an energetic walk or an exciting drive to the summit to see a bird’s eye view of Hawkes Bay. There are miles of golden sand at the stunning Ocean Beach, golf at Hastings, Napier and at the renowned cliff top Cape Kidnappers course.
The nearby pretty village of Havelock North boasts a cinema, supermarket, a wide range of small shops, cafes and restaurants and the twin cities of Napier, world-famous for its Art Deco architecture, and Hastings, with its Spanish Mission and Art Deco buildings, are only a short drive away.
Events such as Art Deco Weekend and Cricket World Cup matches in Napier (March 2015), and the Horse of the Year Show in Hastings, are only a 25 – 30 minute drive away. Hawkes Bay Food and Wine Classic (FAWC) events happen all around us in the winter and spring and are even easier to get to.
Some places to go and things to do:
- On Yer Bike – hire a bike for the day and visit some outstanding local wineries
- Te Mata Peak – drive, cycle or walk up this legendary landmark and wonder at the amazing views
- Havelock North – explore the lovely cafes, shops and restaurants
- Havelock North – watch one of the latest movie releases at Cinema Gold
- Ocean Beach – explore kilometres of golden sand
- The National Aquarium, Napier
- Gannet Beach Adventures, Clifton
- New Zealand Wine Centre, Napier
- Explore the Art Deco architecture of Napier on either a guided or self-guided walk
- Splash Planet, Hastings
- Arataki Honey, Havelock North
- Gwavas Garden – 20 acres of beautiful, mature woodland garden
Gallery Cottage is very close to the renowned Bridge Pa Triangle where some very special wines are produced. All the following wineries are within very easy reach:
- Apha Domus
- Abbey Cellars
- Triangle Wines
- Ngatarawa Stables
- TeAwa (superb restaurant)
- Craggy Range
- Trinity Hill
And if you are looking for a winery with a really lovely restaurant and don’t mind a 30 minute drive we can certainly recommend:
- Mission Estate (Napier)
- Elephant Hill (Haumoana)